BDP was appointed by the Department for Education to refurbish the Grade II listed Old Admiralty Building, a 20,000 square metre, 6-storey building built in three phases from 1888 to 1905, located just south of Trafalgar Square, London.
The project transformed a cramped, cellular floor plan of more than 660 rooms into a modern, open-plan working environment to accommodate the Department of Education’s considerable staff, departments and visitors, and the Government Art Collection, including gallery and display spaces, library, conservation workshop, art stores and offices.
As a co-project lead, Thomas worked across both the enabling and fit-out phases of the project to deliver:
- 400 high-grade office areas providing increased connectivity, while retaining the building’s significance.
- A complete upgrade of all building services, with new plant rooms, heating and cooling throughout, and suspended service rafts to preserve the fabric of the building.
- Areas for the Government Art Collection (sub-tenant), providing new display areas, storage, workshops and a library.
- Enhanced building security,
- Wayfinding to assist movement through the building, and its enjoyment, and
- Conservation of as many original elements, materials and finishes as possible.