Increasing signs of stone decay led to Studio Trudeau being engaged to assess external fabric of the church. Working with Traditional Restoration Company (conservators) and TTW (structural engineers), a full fabric and structural survey was carried out. The principal finding was that the spire itself is structurally unsound and at risk of collapse.
From this, we formed a full program of conservation and restoration works that include:
The St Andrew’s Congregational Church was built in 1854 to the designs of Goold and Field in a simple Gothic style. Using locally quarried stone, the church was built rapidly by William Burt, a local builder, opening in August 1855. While some modifications have taken place since that time, the church remains highly intact.
One of Sydney’s earliest and best used churches, St Andrew’s Congregational Church is a local landmark, highly valued by its congregation and the local community. Since the 1970s, its forecourt has hosted the Balmain Markets, and the church itself has been the venue of countless weddings and services. It is a privilege and an honour to be involved in this project.
DA approval granted; technical design underway.
Project works to commence January 2022.
We’d love to hear from clients interested in new build, refurbishment and conservation projects, whether in Australia or Europe.
© STUDIO TRUDEAU. All rights reserved.